|RAFALE. U.S$101 million apiece French made Dassault|
Rafale multi-role jet.Photo Credit: Dassault Aviation
Wednesday, September 7, 2016
By Mortz C. Ortigoza
After the hearing on the PNP Modernization Bill last November 26 at the swanky Sison Auditorium in Lingayen, Pangasinan,Congressman Leopoldo Bataoil (2nd District, Pangasinan and PMA ’76) introduced me to Congressman Romeo Acop (2nd District, Antipolo and PMA ’70) as a former personnel of the Tactics at the Philippine Military Academy in the late 1980s when he was one of the tactical officers there.
“Sir, what class are you?” I asked Acop, a lawyer.
“Oh, your mistah (classmate) was Julius Javier (living legend and hero of the black panther commando the Scout Ranger). He just reacted last week on my blog I posted at Face Book on my article about former U.S General Colin Powel during his stint at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas.
“I’m still seeing Julius; we played golf together with my other “mistahs”.
After I narrated to him that I and my family lived at the RFC near the statue of “young boy” General Gregorio del Pilar when they were still firstie (graduating cadets) in the 1970,I asked Acop, a member of the Oversight Committee of Revised AFP Modernization Program, why it takes several years (2018 to 2022 of Horizon 2) for the AFP to buy a squadron or two squadrons of multiple jets like the U.S made $19 million apiece F-16 bloc C/D, Sweden made U.S $ 70 million each Saab JAS 39 Gripen, or U.S$101 million apiece French made Dassault Rafale to buttress the Philippines’ defense of her islands, and reefs at the West Philippines Sea (WPS).
“In case Congress deliberate and fund in 2017 the multi-role jets, funds will be available in 2018, order and delivery of the brand new jets will be on 2019 or 2020, baka ubos na ang isla natin sa WPS in case we keep procrastinating on buying them?"
He told me that the Revised AFP Modernization Act (RAFPMA) or Republic Act 10349 already funded all the items needed by the AFP up to the end year 2028 of the Horrizon-3.
“The ball now lays on the executive department especially the new president whether he/she supports it, " he told me.
When I asked him in case the tension at the WPS get out of control, why not Congress pass a special appropriation to buy second hand F-16s or Israeli Kfirs, all multi-role fighters, especially the latter the Israelis offer us in a basement price.
“They were manufactured in the 1970s but their frames and platforms were spruced up to fly for thousands of hours not to mention the warranty given by the Israelis, their new avionics and munitions are at par with the F-16,” I declared.
As what rhk111smilitaryandarmspage.wordpress.com wrote: ‘All Kfirs being sold now are taken from the mothballed stocks of the IAF (Israel Air Force), but are refurbished and upgraded with advanced avionics. The latest version in the market is the “Block 60″ armed with an Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar, the EL/M-2052. IAI is selling this new version with a 40-year manufacturer’s guarantee for the low price of only USD 20 million each, which would be cheaper than the FA-50 Golden Eagles (priced at U.S $30 million apiece - MCO)”.
Acop said we should instead buy for brand new than procuring those French Mirage III/5 delta-winged inspired Kfir, whose technology the Jews stole from the French after the latter would not sell those hundreds of Mirage III Israeli ordered and paid before the outbreak of the Yom Kippur War in 1973.
Here under was my Question and Answer with Congressman Sam Pagdilao (Baron, PMA ‘79) before I and Rep. Acop had a huddle:
MORTZ: May question is not on the PNP Modernization Bill but on the RAFPMA because you and other former military or police officials are members of the Oversight Committee of the military modernization.
Sir, nakita ko kasi sa Horizon-1 (2013 to 2017) 33 military items, dadalawa o tatatlo pa lang nabili ng government iyong fighter-trainer jets sa South Korea and Bell Helicopters sa Canada. Bakit marami ang hindi nabibili sa Horizon-1? Wala bang supurta ang Congress sa procurement?
CONGRESSMAN PAGDILAO: Okay, we are also members of the AFP Modernization Oversight Committee. Tama ka diyan. Una, I observed hindi nabibili hindi nasusunod ng AFP iyong Time Line saka iyong pagbili ng dapat bibilhin according to different Time Lines o Horizons sa bill.
So, wala bang suporta ang Congress?
In fact, may suporta ang Congress sapagkat doon nga nangaling ang batas na ito ang modernization program. Ang kinakailangan dito iyong isang maliwanag na national defense strategy. Iyon ang nakikita nating kawalan. That must be declared, must be insured by the government specially the executive kasi kailangan pang isumiti nila sa Congreso.
M: May pera ba na pondo diyan?
P: Dapat ginugulgol sa mga priority iyong pera. Minsan nagtatanung kami bakit nababago ang prioridad. Siguro hindi kaila sa inyo nagkaroon na ng decision na imbes na iyong.........
M: P6.5 billion Shore Based Missiles System (SBMS) (a land-based mobile anti-ship missile system from Israeli)....
P: Oo, iyong Shore Based Missiles,sinabi nila na uunahin nila iyong pagbili ng individual na kagamitan like iyong helmets saka iyong mga (bullet) vests iyong suit. Dapat tanungin sapagkat iyong pera noong modernization dapat ipagbili ng according to the priority set by the external defense to insure the territorial integrity of course defense system.
Iyong naval capability natin, iyong ating water assets in order to do patrol a country that is archipelagic ang kailangan din iyan para (inaudible) kayang ipag tangol protektahan lahat ng ating territorial claims. Iyan ay, tama kayo diyan, kami naman bilang members ng Oversight Committee ng Armed Forces of the Philippones Modernization tinitingnan namin iyan.
(You can read my selected columns at http://mortzortigoza.blogspot.com and articles at Pangasinan News Aro. You can send comments too firstname.lastname@example.org)
By Mortz C. Ortigoza
Kalabaw na kasali sa fiesta sa Ozamiz City pinagbabaril ng mga pulis.
Kasalukuyang iniimbestigahan pa ng joint teams ng National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) at Criminal Investigation Detection Group (CIDG) kung nang-agaw din ng baril ang kalabaw gaya ng mga drug pushers na pinagpapatay ng mga alagad ng batas.
Here’s an excerpt of the news:
“CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY – A carabao that was part of the activities of Ozamiz City’s annual fiesta ran amok on Saturday.
Witnesses said the carabao, a full grown male bull, lost its temper when it was paraded around the Birhen sa Cotta grounds where the final judging of street dancing also took place.
The street dancing competition was one of the highlights of the Subayen Keg Subanen Festival”.
A big time private contractor with the government told me how he and public officials earn in a, say, ten million pesos farm-to-market road in a town.
“15 percent lang ang tubo ko diyan. 15 percent bigay ko sa congressman, 5 percent sa DPWH (Department of Public Works & Highway) for the boys nila to divide, and 10 percent kay mayor,” he enumerated.
He cited that before he wins the bidding for the project at the DPWH, he first get the nod of the other two bidders (required by law) who would quote the first two highest bid to make the project so they would lose while my source, who bids the lowest ten million project wins.
By Mortz C. Ortigoza
DAGUPAN CITY – The new regional chief of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency in Region 1 said that all operations of the Philippine National Police on the implementation of raids and searches against suspected dangerous drug personalities should be coordinated with the PDEA.
“Hinde hinde, they have to coordinate prior to the operation,” stressed by Regional Director Jeoffrey C. Tacio, when asked if the police can coordinate after their raid or search on the residence or den of drug personalities.
According to the The Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 or Republic Act No. 9165 and PNP Manual on Anti-Illegal Drugs Operation and Investigation, a PNP unit, prior to any anti-drug operations shall, as far as practicable, coordinate with the PDEA.
Even after the raid or search, it says there that “(b) In any case, the PNP anti-drug units shall coordinate or inform the PDEA of the anti-drug operation within 24 hours from the time of the actual custody of the suspects or seizure of said drugs and substances as well as paraphernalia and transport equipment used in illegal activities involving such drugs and/or substances and shall regularly update the PDEA on the status of the cases involving the said anti-drug operation. (Section 86 (a) IRR RA 9165); (c.) The word “As far as practicable” as being used in Section 86, IRR, RA 9165, means that which prior coordination with the PDEA may be done, practiced or accomplished and which is feasible and possible to be performed”.
By Mortz C. Ortigoza
Opposite to the pronouncement of naysayers that the war on drugs launched by President Rodrigo Duterte is destined to fail, just like in Thailand, had just been rebutted by a battle scared senior non-commissioned police officer whose equivalent rank in the military is master sergeant.
In an interview with him, he told me that not only peddling of illegal drugs in Urdaneta City, Pangasinan – known as one of the top bailiwicks of narcotics peddlers in my province, had dropped but three of its 34 villages have been declared as narcotics-free.
Urdaneta City Mayor Amadeo "Bobom" G.E. Perez IV excitedly told me that these dope free villages are Cabaruan, Otama, and Tipuso.
“You go to Superintendent Marcelino Desamito and asked him for more details on these three barangays,” Perez told me and his favorite media man, who drops by at his office weekly, Harold Barcelona.
Instead of Desamito, who was busy talking with some Muslim elders, we faced the police “sergeant major” who said index crime like robbery, theft, and others decreased by 40 percent because of the war on drugs.
By Mortz C. Ortigoza
DAGUPAN CITY – The fear of death was the main reason why two former dangerous drug users submitted recently themselves to the mayor and the police here to pledge in an affidavit to forego their habit.
“Ayaw ko pang mamatay sir, user ako gumagamit lang (I don’t want to die sir. I was only a user),” quipped by 24 years old Reggie Castillo inside the mayor’s office here to Northern Watch.
He said he is unemployed after his employer in a mall did not renew his contract.
“I used to have a job where a portion of my salary I used to buy shabu to finance my drug habit”.
Castillo, just like the other self- declared drug users and pushers surrendered to the police and this city’s mayor Belen T. Fernandez, said they used shabu or meta-amphetamine hydrochloride that can be bought for P100 toP300 per sachet.
Allan, not his real name, cited that he surrendered, too, because he feared death from death squads who roamed using a motorcycle the residences of the drug suspects before they assassinate through a 45 caliber handgun their unguarded target.
“Kasi natatakot po ako,” he quipped by hiding his head using a towel as cameras of TV stations pan on the almost 50 drug personalities who submitted themselves here.
He said he came from Manaoag but lives in Barangay Bacayao here where he used to peddle clothes.
Allan said he is presently unemployed.
“It has been a long time that I did not use shabu but the village chief included me on the list so I could not do anything”.
The processing of those surrenderees to forego using narcotics was held either at the mayor’s office, the villages’ gyms, or the police station.
Upon assumption of President Rodrigo Duterte, who won the election on an aggressive drugs war cry, hundreds of suspected and self –declared drug pushers and users surrendered to the mayor, former Chief of Police (COP) Superintendent Cris Abrahano and incumbent COP Supt. Niel Miro.
Those who surrendered were accompanied by their respective barangay chairmen.
Fernandez cited that those who submitted themselves to pledge not to go back in their habit do not mean that they are no longer answerable to the law as they will still be placed under surveillance by the Philippine National Police.
Tuesday, September 6, 2016
( REPRINTED FROM PNP'S COTABATO PROVINCE REPORT)
On September 6, 2016, at about 4:00 o’clock in the afternoon, Cotabato PoliceProvincial Office (CPPO) led by PSSUPT EMMANUEL BALOLOY PERALTA, Acting Provincial Director of CPPO; CPPSF Personnel; 45th SAC SAF; 2nd MC RPSB-12; 7th IB PA; Mlang MPS Personnel and 6O2nd Brigade PA troops jointly conducted Law Enforcement Operation (LEO) by implementing Search Warrants against aforementioned suspects at Purok 6, Brgy. Dunguan, Mlang, Cotabato for Violation of PD 1866 as amended by RA 10591 and RA 9516 (Illegal Possession of Explosives).
Both suspects are identified IED-maker and nowhere to be found in their residence during the Search Warrant Implementation, however in the first target (Anwar Sandigan’s residence), the following explosives and IED components were seized from his residence, to wit; (a) one unit M67 Model Fragmentation Grenade, (b) six (6) pieces ordinary blasting cap No. 8, (c) thirty (30) inches ten grain detonating cord, (d) one (1) piece Nokia Cell phone, (e) one (1) piece QQ400 M&L mobile Cell phone, (f) one (1) piece 6120 Nokia Cell phone, (g) two (2) pieces slide switch assembly, (h) two (2) pieces 9 volts Eveready Battery, (i) one (1) piece soldering gun, (j) one (1) piece Samua YX- 360TR circuit tester, (k) seven (7) pieces AAA 1.5 volts Battery, (l) one (1) piece BT-168 Battery tester, (m) two (2) pieces test light, (n) two (2) pieces circuit board, (o) twenty (20) pieces Christmas light with red and black leg wire, (p) two (2) pieces 2P4M silicone controlled rectifier (SCR), (q) three (3) pieces 9 volts new leader battery, (r) one (1) piece AA Kingever 1,5 volts Battery, (s) two (2) pieces diode, (t) two (2) pieces slide switch, (u) one (1) piece remote control, (v) one(1) piece GDlite power supply, (w) undetermined amount of black powder, (x) five (5) pieces of Battery holder with capacitor, (y) one (1) piece Cell phone charger, (z) twenty six (26) pieces light emitting diode, (aa) one (1) piece unidentified cell phone, (bb) three (3) pieces circuit board, (cc) two (2) roles electrical stranded wire.
Saturday, August 27, 2016
"It takes two to tango"
By Mortz C. Ortigoza
CALASIAO – The regional director of the BIR in Region 1 disagreed to the tag that the agency is one of the most corrupt offices in the country.
EXEC. BIR Region 1 Regional
Director Marina de Guzman
“It takes two to tango, ‘di ba? Hinde lang po taga BIR, mga taxpayers diyan na naiimbistigahan siguro nabibigatan sila sa laki ng assessment bribing examiners nandoon ang temptation,” Director Marina de Guzman stressed.
She said that 98 percent of the BIR’s tax collection came from the voluntary taxpayers where BIR personnel do not need to directly transact with them.
De Guzman cited that it is only two percent of the taxpayers that the BIR personnel have to physically make contact to prompt them to pay the correct taxes.
She said that BIR Commissioner Cesar Dulay suspended until further notice the much criticized Electronic- Letter of Authority (ELA), letters, and notices to these two percent of taxpayers.
De Guzman cited that the tax agency has to soldier- on for the 14 billion pesos it was mandated to collect in the four provinces’ region this year despite its being 42 percent higher than the previous year’s tax goal.
“380 lang ang personnel namin kulang na kulang pero sa plaintilla ng Executive Order 366 ang aming warm bodies ay 835. We are working on a 45 percent workforce lang po rito. Nakikiusap po ako sa mga taxpayers, account tax agents magkapit bisig tayo kung may alam kayo na hinde na cover sa ating tax data base ipag paalam ninyo lang po sa aming opisina 8:00 to 5:00 pm,” she stressed.
Meanwhile, Maria Isabel B. Utit and Ariel M. Calabia have remain unscathed on the first revamped of all six revenue district office (RDO) chiefs in Region-1 after the Duterte Administration released on August 15 the Revenue Travel Assignment Order No. 168-2016 for 55 RDO chiefs all over the country.
“The concerned officials are directed to report to their new assignments on or before August 31, 2016. They shall strictly comply with the provision of Revenue Memorandum Order No. 38-2011 dated September 16, as amended by Revenue Memorandum Order No. 39-2011 dated October 15, 2011, regarding turn-over of all accountabilities and compliance to issued RTAOs covering transfer of personnel. This order takes effect immediately,” contained at the RTA’s No. 168-2016 and signed by Bureau of Internal Revenue's Commissioner Dulay.
Utit, a Certified Public Accountant-Lawyer, and Calabia are the present RDO chiefs of Urdaneta City and Laoag City, respectively.
In the latest RTAO it shows that RDO-2 chief Eduardo Obero based in Vigan City, Ilocos Sur was assigned to head RDO-52 in Paranaque City, RDO-3 OIC Chief Luis Alberto, Jr based in San Fernando City, La Union was assigned as OIC RDO-61 chief in Gumaca, Quezon, RDO- 4 Chief Fely Simon based here was assigned as RD0-34 chief in Paco, Pandacan, Sta. Ana Areas, and RD0-5 Chief Josephine Catamco based in Alaminos City, Pangasinan was assigned as OIC –RDO chief of RDO-87 in Catbalogan, Samar.
The new RDO bosses in the Ilocos Region are RDO-2 Chief Aldo B. Esmena (Ilocos Sur), RDO-3 Chief Ernesto Mangabat (La Union), RDO-4 Chief Merlyn Vicente (Central Pangasinan), and RDO-5 Chief Jose Maria Hernandez (Western Pangasinan).